Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Disconnect

     It may seem a little hard to understand for some people, but lately, I have felt rather disconnected from others, as if I were on the outside looking in, and saw things from a different perspective. It is interesting to see how people react to others, what they value, and despise. Many people react to the unknown with hatred, but what if they actually learned to embrace it? What if people accepted those who are different, without trying to change them?

     I have witnessed interesting reactions when confronting people commenting on articles from a religious publication with their hatred of homosexuals, the typical response to being confronted with questions was to attack my character, and not the arguments that I made. This, of course was followed by various insinuations , including that I was a pedophile, because I defend people who are different. It was rather insulting, to say the least, to be called "boy lover" when the principle of my life is to do no harm. The implication of the conservative hive mind did, on some level, make this disconnect possible, and may have enhanced it. I was reminded of the kings of old, and how they justified their rule with divine rights doctrine. Isn't that exactly what those against marriage equality are invoking, divine command against such behavior?

     The amount of self importance involved in the restriction of other' rights because one disagrees with it is simply and utterly despicable. The arguments brought against me involved calling universities "indoctrination center" - unlike churches, by the way- and claiming arrogance on my part. Well, clearly, I'm the arrogant person who believes they have a direct line to the inerrant source of knowledge and morality in the universe. The arrogance of stating I do not have all the answers, but I am working through it, the arrogance of questioning a book edited and replaced, as well as translated from translations of fragments of conflicting accounts? Well, I guess we have different definitions of arrogance.

No comments:

Post a Comment