Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Morality?

     Well, this post is not going to be about religion... well maybe a little. Though I fully intend it to be related to life itself and the state of human society in general. I have been asking myself why humans, as a general rule are seemingly contradictory in their instincts and actions. Our instincts, based on evolutionary processes make us survivors, at the expense of others, though our nature is also one of altruism. We are, in fact very well aware of our own shortcomings in life. Hell, I know I am! People who think I have minimal issues only need ask my wife! But I try to be as helpful and inspirational as I can be with others, be it through leading by example, or providing much needed words of encouragement, or slight kicks in the ass. But why do I do it? Is it because of some basic sense of morality given to me at birth? No, it is a learned behavior, one that my parents passed down to me, and, though they disagree with how I live my life, I usually abide by the sense of justice they have inspired in me. I do not possess much, but I try to give everything I have to those who need it more than me. Is that morality?

     Morality is usually defined by a set of beliefs about the difference between a "right behavior" and a "wrong behavior", though what dictates this? Society? Education? Upbringing? Human Nature? All of the above? I believe it is dictated by all of those, though sometimes, a subculture forms forming its own set of moral behaviors; those that are successful tend to change societal views of certain moral issues, and those that aren't adapt, or disappear into oblivion. One must only look at the LGBTQ movement to see a successful subculture within our own. I consider myself an ally of those members of the community, not because I have an interest in it, but because I understand it is not a learned behavior, it is not a choice, it simply is. I completely understand the want to belong to society and then to have it reject parts of who you are. There is no simple way to express the sense of despair that comes with that realization. But with help and time, as well as a well adjusted "give them hell" attitude, one can overcome this depression.

     Those that are not as successful at adapting or even incorporating themselves into society live in fear and eventually disappear. I do hope that is not the case for many human rights -I did not use civil rights on purpose as they pertain to Humanity in general not just citizens of a given nation- I am a supporter of what is considered outside of the norm, so long as it does not hurt those who perform it, and it is between consenting adults - polyamorous marriages, gay marriages, swingers, etc... Those may seem to exist outside of the civilized criteria for moral, but who, or what is it hurting? Does it just feel uncomfortable because it is different? Because the majority of people do not understand the feeling or concept? It is time for society to understand the wide spectrum of the human attraction, and understand that, most of the time, it is not a choice. We all have our own moral standards to follow. Mine, I know, are extremely different than those of the general population, and you know what?  I can live with that. I tend to want to give people hell anyway. To those who refuse to understand that others have needs, be it because of politics, religion, or societal conformism, they need to step out of the shelter of their bubble and understand that humans, in general are multidimensional creatures.

    For those too lazy to read through the entire thing, I have two things to say: It's not long come on! And as a summary: Morality is taught, then developed as a part of the population -even one person- discovers who they are. There is no greater feeling of empowerment than that of knowing what you are and being free to express it.

No comments:

Post a Comment